By John Tweeddale

    Monday, January 30, 2006

    Muller PRRD I.37

    I will be on holiday for the next two weeks; I will resume my post after the New Year. In the mean time, here is a quote that I'd like to get some feebback on from Muller PRRD I.37.

    “The theology of Protestant orthodoxy, developed in the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries as a final, dogmatic codification of the Reformation, occupies a position of considerable significance in the history of Protestant thought. Not only is this scholastic or orthodox teaching the historical link that binds us to the Reformation, it is also the form of theological system in and through which modern Protestantism has received most of its doctrinal principles and definition. Without detracting at all from the achievements of the great Reformers and the earliest codifiers of the doctrines of the Reformation…we need to recognize that not they, but rather, subsequent generations of “orthodox” or “scholastic” Protestants are responsible for the final form of such doctrinal issues as the definition of theology and the enunciation of its fundamental principles, the fully developed Protestant forms of the doctrine of the Trinity, the crucial Christological concept of the two states of Christ, penal substitutionary atonement, and the them of the covenants of works and the covenant of grace” (37).

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home